What does spirituality mean to me? Spirituality means having a sense of purpose and having a sense of meaning. I should be able to answer the question, “Why am I here?” The Oxford Dictionary definition of spirituality is, the quality of being concerned with the human spirit or soul as opposed to material or physical things. Spirituality is not religion. However, at times spirituality and religion do go hand in hand. One can be spiritual without being religious. Spirituality is asking ideational questions. How do I find meaning? purpose? Others?
For a sense of meaning and for my spiritual cup to be filled need a sense of belonging, community, association, and fellowship. I feel most accomplished when in service to others. But how can others find meaning?
Everyone finds meaning differently, but I believe you need to answer these 7 questions?
- Who and what brings me meaning in my life?
- What is important to me?
- What am I truly good at?
- What is my potential?
- What is my perception of life, why are you here?
- What is my definition of love, and where do I find it?
- What are my intentions?
1. Why is there poverty and suffering in the world?
2. What is the relationship between science and religion?
3. Why are so many people depressed?
4. What are we all so afraid of?
5. When is war justifiable?
6. How would God want us to respond to aggression and terrorism?
7. How does one obtain true peace?
8. What does it mean to live in the present moment?
9. What is our greatest distraction?
10. Is current religion serving its purpose?
11. What happens to you after you die?
12. Describe heaven and how to get there.
13. What is the meaning of life?
14. Describe God.
15. What is the greatest quality humans possess?
16. What is it that prevents people from living to their full potential?
17. Nonverbally, by motion or gesture only, act out what you believe to be the current condition of the world.
18. What is your one wish for the world?
19. What is wisdom and how do we gain it?
20. Are we all one?
In the hustle and bustle of today’s life we often lose the meaning of it, By living up to what we consider other’s expectations of us are. Not our own. We need to decide who we want to be and live up to it. There’s a quote by Terry Pratchett and it goes “If you don’t turn your life into a story, you just become someone else’s story.” This explains, make your own story by sharing your own experiences, channeling your own emotions, and most of all finding your own purpose.